Drake International Celebrates 60 Years
DELIVERING PRODUCTIVITY, PERFORMANCE, AND PROFIT IMPROVEMENT
LOOKING BACK. LOOKING FORWARD.
Drake International’s growth has been shaped by our ability to understand
the productivity requirements of our clients. From our beginning in 1951 to today,
we have focused on delivering productivity improvement and performance improvement
solutions for our clients’ human capital assets to achieve profi t improvement.
1951: OFFICE OVERLOAD
THE PRODUCTIVITY JOURNEY BEGINS IN WINNIPEG, MANITOBA, CANADA
From its first client, the Hudson’s Bay Company, to clients around the country, Office Overload becomes synonymous with productivity and profi t improvement.
DON’T PAY A FULL-TIME SALARY FOR A PART-TIME JOB
Office Overload introduced the concept of temporary staffing to the Canadian marketplace. By applying work measurement practices and analyzing the results to achieve the optimal level of permanent staff, Office Overload was able to put a plan in place for clients to handle staffing fluctuations with qualified temporary staff.
1950s – 1960s
• Office Overload opens in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
• Office Overload opens in Toronto, Ontario and several other cities in Canada, as well as in the United States
• Drake Personnel, the permanent recruitment division, is launched
• Drake expands into the United Kingdom and Australia
In the 1950s and ’60s, Drake was in the forefront of bringing married women back into the workforce. This
contributed to a significant increase in female employment for the first time in Canada, and helped Drake
accomplish its growth objectives.
1970s – 1980s
• Drake opens in New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, and Singapore
• Drake Medox is launched to provide a full range of nursing and home support services
• Drivers Overload opens to provide drivers for short- and long-term assignments on a temporary or permanent basis
NOT JUST STAFFING AND RECRUITMENT
When personal computers were introduced, Drake was right there and became an early reseller of IBM computers. In addition to implementing in-depth computer training programs for its field staff and contractors, Drake started Drake Computer Training in the 1980s. This new service line provided clients with the opportunity to have their own staff trained on computers.
With the launch of Drake ComputerPrep, Drake was able to provide computer training products to computer training companies everywhere.
THE BEST FIT FOR THE JOB
The mid-1980s saw the launch of Drake P3, an online psychometric assessment technology to help companies hire the right candidates and manage people.
• Drake Ports in the UK is launched to provide industrial workforce solutions for operational effi ciency
• ClickIQ – a Drake company – carries out market research initiatives for organizations, enabling them to gather important opinions from their audiences
• Drake PictureTalk provides conferencing solutions for businesses with cost-effective, interactive Web meetings
COMPUTERIZED TESTING AND ASSESSMENT BEGINS
In 1990 Drake Training and Technologies was formed to purchase an authoring technology company. When the technology produced mediocre results, the company was then converted into a comprehensive computerized
testing and assessment business, and the name was changed to Drake Prometric.
Drake was there with Drake Computer Training and Drake ComputerPrep. When personal computers were introduced in the 1980s, Drake was there with Drake Computer Training and Drake ComputerPrep. In 1995, the business was merged with Sylvan Learning Centres, and Drake was the largest shareholder. A few years later,
Sylvan sold Prometric. It is still the largest computerized testing business in the world.
Sylvan began to acquire private universities on an international scale. Sylvan then split off the Sylvan Learning Centres division, and the remaining private university business became Laureate, which expanded aggressively throughout Europe and South America. In 2007, Laureate was sold to private equity.
Drake re-entered the testing and certifi cation business a few years ago as Drake Kryterion, based in Phoenix, Arizona. Kryterion provides worldclass online testing technology and is the market leader in live online proctoring. This provides significant savings over bricks and mortar testing centres.
YEAR 2000 TO TODAY
• Drake opens in the Philippines
• Drake Kryterion’s online test delivery system starts in 2001, and online proctoring in 2009
• In 2008, Drake acquires Vertical Talent, which specializes in procurement, logistics, and supply chain recruitment
• Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO) is launched as a talent management solution enabling companies to outsource all or part of their hiring needs
• Drake WorkWise Australia helps organizations and their staff with physical and psychological programs, including EAP and trauma management
• Splash Australia – SheMarketing™ focuses on marketing to women
With offices in nine countries around the world, Drake International today delivers a range of services and technologies focusing on all aspects of Human Capital Performance Improvement. The services include permanent recruitment, outplacement services, training and development, enterprise surveys, exit interviews, performance appraisals, and workforce planning. These include assessment technologies, performance appraisals and our Exponential Impact Talent Management System, which comprises applicant tracking, a Learning Management System, a payrolling system, and more.
To anticipate and meet the productivity needs of our clients, Drake is always growing and evolving with new initiatives, such as Kryterion and Drake Global Tech Recruitment.
As talent management strategies and HR technologies evolve, Drake International will be there every step of the way, continuing to focus on improving the productivity and performance of our clients’ human capital assets.
We pay tribute to all those who contributed to our growth and success over the past 60 years, and to those who continue to play a part. We look forward with vision and anticipation to the future.
Drake’s Facebook page, launched in 2009, provides job search advice, articles on career development, a Jobs Search section, and more.
DrakePULSE (drakepulse.com), our official blog launched in 2011, is fi lled with articles,insights, book reviews, and more for HR professionals, business leaders, and job seekers.
DrakeMobile, Drake’s mobile app, is being designed to be an innovative tool for both job seekers and HR
professionals. Visit DrakeMobile.com and sign up as a beta tester!